Breaking News Africa

« »

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Photos from The Heinrich Böll Foundation's Workshop on "Co-Creating An Inclusive Lagos"


Mrs. Monika Umunna of The Heinrich Böll Foundation and Chief Raymond Gold of the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation during The Heinrich Böll Foundation's Workshop on "Co-Creating An Inclusive Lagos" from July 4-5, 2017 at the CVL (Centre For Values in Leadership)
CVL Building, 6, Balarabe Musa Crescent, opposite 1004 Flats
Off Samuel Manuwa Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
See all the videos on @247nigeria on Twitter.



Participants came from Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda and the UK. The panelists included Prof. Pat Utomi, founder of the Lagos Business School,  Centre for Values in Leadership (CVL) and the African Democratic Congress party; Prof. Alison Brown from Cardiff University; Hon. Desmond Elliot, a leading member of the Lagos State Assembly; Mr. Olutoyin Adedamola Ayinde, Vice President of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (NITP) and Mr. Gbenga Komolafe, Secretary-General of the Federation of Informal Workers of Nigeria.
Those who made presentations included Mr. Richard Dubson, Asiye e-Tafuleni of Durban; Mallam Yari Kabir and Mr. Paul Okunola of UN Habitat.
The coordinators included Uchenna Achunine, Ukabiala Francisca, Nwaulu Modestus and their colleagues at CVL.


Conversation on urban inequality, sustainability and a true vision for the Lagos Megacity!

The workshop “Co-creating an inclusive Lagos” is organised by the Heinrich Böll Foundation Nigeria as part of its “Climate resilient and inclusive Megacity Lagos” program (ng.boell.org) in cooperation with Prof. Taibat Lawanson from the Department of Urban and Regional Planning and Dr. Ademola Omoegun from the Department of Architecture, University of Lagos.
Lagos is a city of dreams for many. Nigerians returning from the Diaspora dream of a prospering city; the Lagosian middle class dreams of economic opportunities and a befitting lifestyle; the poor dream of security of tenure, regular income and a sense of place in the city. Whilst the poor make about 70% of the city’s population, the development patterns in the city increasingly shatter their dreams for the benefit of the remaining 30%. Meanwhile, a modern city is a centre of opportunities for all – rich and poor – to reach their highest potentials, that is governed in an inclusive, collaborative and sustainable manner. How does Lagos fare in this regard?
The workshop targets movers and shakers among Lagos citizens who are interested in socio-economic issues and usually do not have the opportunity to exchange their ideas directly with representatives of the informal sector. Local and international resource persons will demonstrate creative and innovative strategies of inclusive development initiated and implemented by the poor. There will also be a study tour to some sites in the city to understand how affected people cope with the Co-Creating effects of government interventions for replacing informality with formal structures. Finally, working groups will deliberate on strategies for facilitating a fair and inclusive urban development for Lagos and other cities in Nigeria.


RECOMMENDED PHOTO BOOK ON LAGOS CITY

Suchergebnis auf Amazon.de für: Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi: Bücher

No comments: