Sunday, June 21, 2020

My Father's Day Selfies



MY FATHER'S DAY SELFIES
#fathersday


My uncles say I look like my great father, Sunday Eke, who was one of the brave Nigerian youths enlisted in the  Royal West African Frontier Force (RWAFF) who fought and survived the battles against the Japanese in Burma during the World War 2.
But I don't quite agree that I look like my father.
He was fairer
But I am taller
My father was built like the famous African American Academy Award winning actor,  Denzel Washington; with the same height; same dentition and same smile. Ladies loved him.
I never saw him lay a fist on my beloved mother. But one day he annoyed her and she sat outside on the payment. Then he came and lifted her and carried her with smiles into the room. I was amused.
My father loved movies only on the big screens of movie theaters and there were four in our locality on the Lagos Island of Lagos city in the south western region of Nigeria. He often took the whole family to see American #Hollywood western and war films, Indian #Bollywood films and Chinese action films at the Kings Cinema, Sheila Cinema, Plaza Cinema and Royal Cinema.
Franco Nero in Django (1966), Dharmendra in Sholay (1975) and Wang Yu in One-Armed Swordsman (1967) were  very popular movies in the 1970s. They attracted crowds in the cinemas . We must have seen over 200 movies before my father relocated us from Obalende on the Lagos Island to Morocco near Shomolu on the mainland of Lagos state.
My passion for movies came from my father and the unforgettable memories fill me with flashbacks of nostalgia on every Father's Day.


- By EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima
Publisher and Editor of the NOLLYWOOD MIRROR®Series.



No comments: