Tuesday, September 11, 2012

20-year-old Ghanaian Diva Makes History in ₤5 million Record Deal


Ghanaian born Jeanette Akua Yeboah-Mensah, popularly known as Zena has signed a five million pound deal with Invincible Records making her the first African artist to sign up with the record label which launched the Urban Music Awards (UMA) in 2003.
UMA has worked with honoured artists such as Beyonce, Kanye West, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys, to name a few.



Invincible/UMA CEO Jordan Kensington signed the 20 year old singer to a five-year album deal with one of the world’s biggest music organizations, making Zena one of the most bankable young singers in the world.
Zena said she has always been ridiculed by her siblings for being a professional auditionee.

“I am still in shock, but I am so thankful and blessed to have been given this opportunity to represent Africa globally. It’s been a journey, but I believe you can achieve anything with faith, determination and belief in God,” she said excitedly.

“A friend of mine organized a meeting with me and Mr Kensington at the UMA buildings.
“I wasn’t aware that he had seen my clips, so I was nervous. I performed 14 songs for him and it was intense. The meeting lasted almost five hours,” she said.
“Jordan kept a straight face the whole time so I thought he wasn’t interested.
“At the end of the showcase he had this smirk on his face and said ‘You’re going to be a huge star’.
“He signed me on the spot and the rest is history.”

Jordan Kensington said: "I instinctively knew Zena was destined to become a global superstar but what made me more certain was her versatile talent, faith, believe, and tenacity in pursing her ambition. I have always known that Africa has some very talented musicians who if given a global platform will exceed to become household names worldwide and inspire many to see a much more bright, vibrant and successful side to Africa. Zena, is one artist who is set on becoming a global superstar and an ambassador to Africa worldwide”.

Zena was born in East London and moved to Johannesburg at the age of eight.

Click here for the official press release on Supple Magazine Blog.


~ By Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima











No comments: