Monday, July 20, 2015

My Journey to the Land of the Dead and Back After Six Hours Surgery

My Journey to the Land of the Dead and Back
How I Survived Six-Hour Surgery
~ Eze Chukwuemeka Eze

In daily hustle and bustle to make a living, we often tend to forget how delicate life is and what a wonderful gift from God it is. Although I have always appreciated life and expressed gratitude to God for His blessings, I have every reason to do more of that after He mercifully delivered me from the jaws of death on 16th of July, 2015..

For about a year now I have contended with a problem with my voice. Since the problem did not appear to be life-threatening, I chose to live with it and to give my full attention to the 2015 political battles, which, I thank God, ended in victory for us the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the Federal level. As everyone knows, the unexpected happened in my immediate constituency, Rivers State, where former President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife Dame Patience ensured that all the positions were brazenly awarded to their formerly ruling party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Dr. Dakuku Peterside, the governorship candidate of the APC in Rivers State.
Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi, immediate past Governor of Rivers State.
Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi with President Muhammadu Buhari and Dr. Dakuku Peterside during the 2015 presidential campaign in Rivers State.

Though our battle for justice – which I am convinced will end in victory – is just hotting up, I had to finally surrender myself to the doctors days ago when I was warned that I would totally lose my voice if I further delayed throat surgery. Thus I found myself admitted in one of the best medical centres of excellence Nigeria can boast of.

After day-long series of tests that pinpointed the exact cause of my problem, I was wheeled into the theatre for surgery. Having a premonition that the unexpected could happen, I sent text messages to close and trusted friends, church members, asking for prayers and pleaded that they should not abandon my family if I happened not to survive the surgery. One after another, they rebuked me, telling me never to doubt that the surgery would go well. They assured me that they were fervently praying for me. Further emboldened by their encouragement, I submitted myself for anesthesia and passed out.

Resting after surgery.

When I woke up many hours later, I was informed of how God and the committed medical staff comprising five doctors, five nurses and their aides rescued me from the jaws of death against all odds. According to an eyewitness, even thought the surgery that lasted for six hours was a success, it was a monumental task getting me back to life. I was informed that the doctors had to administer oxygen and employ other devices to resuscitate me after twenty minutes of concerted efforts. It would have been a disaster if not for the prayers of the Saints and expertise of the doctors. The photos showing me in the resuscitation room tell the story better.
My darling wife, Evangelist Ada Henrietta Eze and our son.

I have been on drip since then and only allowed to drink water though I was given a little Custard this morning. I am not expected to talk until after seven days. My specimen has been sent for histology analysis that will be ready within the next two weeks time for the final treatment.

All my Muslim brothers and sisters wondering why I did not call or send text messages as usual wishing them Barka da Sallah now know what happened! Was at the borderline between life and death and couldn’t possibly have done any such. Therefore, kindly accept my belated Barka da Sallah!

I involuntarily travelled to the land of the dead and I wholeheartedly thank Almighty God for bringing me back as – to quote the Great Zik of Africa – I am not in a hurry to leave this planet since there is still a lot of work left for me to do here on earth. I thank my darling wife, Evangelist Ada Henrietta Eze who have to take care of our son and daughter hospitalized at thesame time of the operation. Thanks also go to my precious children, who have proved to be a pillar of support at this time, as always. I also thank my General Overseer, church members, Rivers State Correspondents Chapel, all my friends and well wishes for their support and prayers. My special thanks go to the Rivers APC Family, in particular our leader, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Amaechi; our Governor-in-waiting, Dr. Dakuku Peterside; my immediate boss and our Chairman, Senator Magnus Abe, Dr. Davies Ibiamu Ikanya; Dr. Dawari George, Asondu Wenah, Chris Finebone, Chief Allwell Brown, Iron Lady Oby Ndukwe, Hon. Ike Chinwo and others who have demonstrated that we are truly a loving family. Your demonstrated love has further recharged my symbolic battery and commitment to the struggle. True, I cannot talk for now but I can still think and write. The struggle continues till victory is fully achieved!

**************
EZE CHUKWUEMEKA EZE is a Media Consultant based in Port Harcourt, 08038199163, 18-07-15.



submit to reddit

No comments: