Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The Education of Lantana Film

 


I am using generative AI for the film production of "The Education of Lantana" about a bright Muslim girl who boldly refused child marriage in northern Nigeria and appealed to go to school. She won her appeal by saying that Shehu Usman dan Fodio (Arabic: عثمان بن فودي, romanized: ʿUthmān ibn Fūdī; 15 December 1754 – 20 April 1817) , the Fulani scholar, Islamic religious teacher, poet, revolutionary and a philosopher who founded the Sokoto Caliphate and ruled as its first caliph supported the education of his beloved daughter, Princess Nana Asmaʼu. And how she started her teachers (Jajis) who travelled throughout the Caliphate educating women in the students' homes. In turn, each of these Jajis used Nana Asma’u's and other Sufi scholars writings, usually through recited mnemonics and poetry, to train crops of learned women, called the ’Yan-taru', or those who congregate together, the sisterhood.




Lantana said that Islam emphasized that the education of girls is a fundamental duty and an equal right for both males and females. A mandatory duty, because seeking knowledge is a sacred obligation for every Muslim, regardless of gender, as taught by Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) under the protection of human intellect (al-Aql), enabling both men and women to make sound moral choices and understand their faith: that educated girls grow into knowledgeable mothers and community pillars who guide future generations.

"We are the mothers of nations."
Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) actively encouraged the education of women, setting aside dedicated days to teach them religious commandments and Aisha, the Prophet's youngest wife was among the major authorities in Islamic jurisprudence, narrating thousands of hadiths and teaching prominent male companions. 
The Imam of the mosque; the Alaramma of the madrasa and Shu'aban Makaranta of their Islamiyya school who were impressed by Lantana's Qur'anic memorization (Hifz) of the Surah Al-Baqarah, the second and longest chapter of the Quran, containing 286 verses supported her appeal and allowed her to return to school and not to be forced to marry.




  • Dramatic Intent: Shows quiet determination, reverence for her faith, and an unstoppable desire to learn.
  • ​"I do not wish to step away from our ways, Mother. Every word of the Koran I hold in my heart, just as Father taught me. But when I look at these letters on my slate, I see a doorway. A way to help our village, to read the papers the doctors bring, to write our own stories instead of letting others speak for us. I am not turning my back on who we are—I only want to see how far our light can reach."

    Aminu (Father)

    • Context: Aminu addresses a council of village elders who are questioning why he permits his daughter to spend so much time studying formal schoolbooks.
    • Dramatic Intent: Displays dignity, paternal pride, deep traditional roots, and a changing perspective.
    • ​"You ask me why I let a girl spend her hours with books instead of preparing only for a husband's hearth. I am a man of tradition, as my father was before me. I bow to God, and I honor the dust of this compound. But look at her. She holds the Holy Book in one hand and the future in the other, without letting either fall. If our daughters remain in the dark, our whole village stumbles. I will not be the father who dimmed his own child’s lantern."

      Zainab (Mother)

      • Context: Zainab speaks privately with Aminu inside their mud home at dusk, trying to gently sway his heart to support Lantana's path.
      • Dramatic Intent: Emotional depth, maternal warmth, strategic persuasion, and quiet strength.
      • ​"Look at her out there in the yard, Aminu. She has your quiet eye, your steady heart. I walked the path given to me without complaint, and it has been a good life beside you. But the world outside our walls is moving faster now. Lantana has a fire in her head that water cannot quench. If we try to trap that fire, it will burn us all. But if we guide it... imagine what she could build for us."


No comments:

Post a Comment